Cordkillers: Ep. 1 - Distributors gotta distribute
Cord Killers # 1 Distributors gotta distribute
Recorded: January 6 2014
Guest: Brian Dunaway
- The Most Pirated Movies of 2013 — And Why Piracy Isn’t Hurting the Box Office
- Hollywood tallies up new box office record in 2013, led by 'Iron Man 3'
- Pirate Bay Uploads Surge 50% in a Year, Despite Anti-Piracy Efforts
- 2013′s box office is poised to be the best yet with $10.9 billion domestically, slightly edging out 2012′s $10.8 billion.
Researchers from Wellesley College and the University of Minnesota reached similar findings in a 2012 paper on the impact of film piracy, which stated that outside of international box office affected by release lags, “we do not see evidence of elevated sales displacement in US box office revenue following the adoption of BitTorrent, and we suggest that delayed legal availability of the content abroad may drive the losses to piracy.”
- Brian Krzanich on Why He Pulled the Plug on Intel’s TV Dreams
- Intel killed its internet TV project because it couldn't make content deals
- Netflix’s new plan: save a buck with SD-only streaming
- Netflix confirms it will stream House of Cards in 4K this year, posts full season two trailer
- Netflix adds director’s commentary to House of Cards
- Roku to power a new line of smart TVs
- Opera Signs Up Samsung For Its Smart TV Apps Store
- Panasonic will bring Firefox OS to your smart TV this year
- LG says webOS makes smart TV “easy,” gets exclusive on Netflix 4K
- Bad news for cord cutters: ABC starts restricting access to full TV show episodes
- Netgear takes on Chromecast, but with a twist
- Here are Valve's 12 Steam Machines partners (so far)
- Trying to Stream NFL Playoff Game — On the Way to Techie CES — Is a Comedy of Error Messages
- YouTube to show off lower-bandwidth 4K streaming at CES
- Dish expands Hopper DVR platform with Super Joey, Wireless Joey set-top boxes
- Dish announces streaming app for PlayStation consoles
Winter Movie Draft
- Fr. Robert Ballecer: $563,266,400
- Justin Robert Young: $519,952,679
- Casey McKinnon: $488,259,563
- Jeff Cannata: $402,634,099
- Tom Merritt: $298,889,368
- Brian Brushwood: $213,796,362
- Brian Brushwood: Bravest Warriors (again), NOVA on fractals, Nat Geo on nuke subs, Sherlock series 3, Archer
- Tom Merritt: Graham Norton Show, Orange is the New Black, Downton Abbey, The Americans
- Brian Dunaway: Doctor Who, The Regular Show, Ultaviolet Movies, Bravest Warriors
Brian Dunaway mentioned using hitbliss to earn credits on Amazon to watch The Regular Show.
Dispatches from the front
- CES 2014 live: Michael Bay stumbles, stalks out of Samsung event [Video]
- Micheal Bay talks about walking off the stage at CES
- "Hurd spoke of “Walking Dead” fans she’s engaged with via Twitter who didn’t even realize they were illegally downloading content due to slick pirate-streaming sites that mimic legitimate services."
Walking Dead EP didn't say that piracy occured despite freely available episodes, but that viewers were unaware that streaming options were piracy since it was provided by online servies aping legitmate sources.
AMCTV.com definetly does not have Walking Dead available without cable company authentication, and therefore Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are still behind garden walls. Unlike over-the-air broadcasters that allow free ad-supported streaming from their websites, basic cable has a greater demand to be pirated which would be alleviated by offering ad-supported over-the-web alternative.
Sean from Queens
- I guess I don't want new and legacy media to be mutually exclusive. I will likely always want the nearly passive experience of flipping on a satellite or cable receiver and consuming whatever the borg has for me at any given time. Rightly or wrongly, that curated (albeit lowest common denominator based) experience will always be a like a warm soothing stream of water across my weary brain. Regardless, until all favs are live via IPTV total "severation" of the cord probably not going to happen.
- As a fan, I wanted to help you with the new show and remembered Brain saying he doesn't have the newest AppleTV. So I came up with an idea, instead of sponsoring the show I could buy a new AppleTV for Brian to try out for 30 days, after which he could then take the unit and autograph it in silver sharpie and have Tom autograph it as well and give it out as a prize to one of the people who support the show via Patreon or something like that. For me the easiest thing would be to have Brian send me an email address to send him the $99 via Pay Pal or If Brian has a shipping address he doesn't mind sharing I can order it and have it sent directly to him. It’s up to him.
Thanks from and Ex-pat photographer and all around bum living in Vienna Austria. Cord cutter since Sept 2007 when I moved to Slovakia and had no other choice.
Is it pirating if it is also available for free?