Cordkillers 272 - Tetris and Chernobyl (w/ Nicole Lee)
Avengers is coming back to theaters, Netflix PiP, and Stranger Things 3 next week! All this and more on Cordkillers! With special guest Nicole Lee.
Next week on It's Spoilerin' Time: Chernobyl (103) and Extras (102). Plus, maybe Legion (301)?
Avengers: Endgame Returning to Theaters Next Week With New Post-Credits Scene
-Well we've been wondering why Avengers: Endgame didn't have a digital release yet. Turns out it was because it has a new theater run. It's the same movie but Kevin Feige told Screenrant " If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises."
-The interview said June 28. The run of the current movie ends June 27. But there does not seem to be a way to buy tickets for Endgame after June 27 yet. Cineworld reportedly has tickets going on sale Tuesday at 6 PM.
-This would likely push Endgame to beat Avatar's record
-Digital/Blu-ray release expected August 13 or 20
How to Watch
Netflix's pop-out player test is perfect for procrastination
- Netflix is testing a pop-out player that plays your desktop video in a small floating box that stays over other windows. You can resize it and put it where you like, though subtitles are not yet supported. Netflix says it is only a test.
Apple TV is getting a Picture-in-Picture mode so you can watch two shows at once
-Meanwhile 9to5 Mac noticed the latest beta of tvOS for Apple TV has an option to play content in a small window on the bottom-right of the screen. PiP support is available for video played from within the TV app, so things you purchased or rented from Apple and Apple TV channels (Starz, HBO etc you purchase from within the TV app) and eventually Apple TV+. The feature will arrive with the new OS for Apple TV this autumn.
What to Watch
New Stranger Things trailer for premiere July 4.
‘Y: The Last Man’ Series at FX Hires Eliza Clark as New Showrunner
-The FX series based on Y: The last Man, to be called just "Y" has named Eliza Clark as show runner. She has credits on “Animal Kingdom,” “The Killing,” “Extant,” and “Rubicon” and has also written plays. Y was ordered to series in February. Melina Matsoukas directed the pilot. It's expected to premiere in 2020.
Adam Sandler's 'Murder Mystery' breaks Netflix viewing records
- Murder Mystery starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston has set the record for most streams on an opening weekend for Netflix with 30,869,863 unique accounts in the first three days. A view is counted if someone watches more than 70% of a show.
Amazon released a trailer for The Boys, starring Karl Urban as a CIA operative who leads a team to fight against corrupt superheroes. Coming to Amazon July 26.
‘Queer Eye’ Renewed for Seasons 4 and 5 at Netflix, Fourth Season to Debut in July
George Clooney will direct and star in a post-apocalyptic Netflix movie
- George Clooney will direct and star in a movie adaptation of the book Good Morning, Midnight, for Netflix. The script was written by Mark L. Smith (The Revenant, Overlord). Expect it sometime next year as shooting gets underway in October.
FX Announces ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ Premiere Date
- FX announced “American Horror Story: 1984” will premiere on September 18. Season 2 of “Mayans MC” September 3, Season 2 of “Mr. Inbetween” September 12 and the 14th season of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” September 25 on FXX.
‘Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee’ Sets Season 11 Premiere Date; Eddie Murphy, Seth Rogen, Ricky Gervais Among Guests
- ‘Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee’ Season 11 Premieres on Netflix July 19 with Eddie Murphy, Seth Rogen, Ricky Gervais, Matthew Broderick, Jamie Foxx, Sebastian Maniscalco, Martin Short, Mario Joyner, Melissa Villaseñor, Bridget Everett, and Barry Marder.
Brian: Toy Story 4, Chernobyl, Extras, Defunctland , DefunctTV
Tom: Toy Story 4, Princess Agents
Nicole: Savage Builds, Songland, The Chef Show
On the Lookout: Dallas and Robo
Netflix details the ‘best’ 2019 TVs for watching Netflix
- Netflix released its latest rundown of the TVs it thinks are best for watching Netflix, something it has been doing since 2015. To make the list, the TV must meet five of seven criteria including, TV Instant On, fast app launch, a Netflix button on the remote, Easy Netflix icon access in the app screen, the latest version of Netflix, the latest shows automatically refreshed in the background and a high-res interface.
- Netflix recommends the Samsung's Q60R/Q70R/Q80R/Q90R/Q900R series, RU8000, The Serif and The Frame devices
- Sony's BRAVIA X85G/X90G series and A9G series
- Panasonic's VIERA GX700/GX800/GX900 series
With Disney in charge, Hulu plans original content push
- Hulu CEO Randy Freer told CNBC that Hulu's "investment in original programming will increase significantly." hel says this will be because of "the capacity inside of the Walt Disney Company."
Deadline says James Marsden may get cast as Stu Redman in The Stand 9-episode miniseries being created for CBS All Access. And Amber Heard is possibly getting cast as Nadine Cross.
Discovery And FuboTV Set Carriage Deal, Adding More Networks To Streaming Bundle
- FuBo TV keeps adding content and it's not all sports. The streaming service has a deal with Discovery Networks to add 13 more networks to the five it already carries. Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and MotorTrend will come to the base package. Additional networks will be available in the add-on Extra package.
Quibi Has Already Booked $100 Million in Ad Sales, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman Say
- Quibi has already sold $100 million in ads to six advertisers ahead of its April 2020 launch. That's about 2/3 of its expected inventory. Interestingly Quibi is not looking for ads from telecoms as it wants to strike an exclusive distribution deal with one of them. Quibi will cost $5 monthly with ads and $8 for an ad-free tier.
Dispatches from the Front
Well guys, I'm back in management. That's right, I'm your boss again. A few months back I cancelled my patreon account. As cordkillers moved from techy-geeky i liked to more movie and TV reviews I thought I wouldn't be listening. But, even though it's not the cordkillers of early days, I'm still listening. And, if I'm listening I should be willing to cough up a buck a show! Hope everyone else does too.
Latest screenshot from my TV app on my iPad where there is not a peep of the current shows I am watching but a push from all the premium channels apple wants me to watch. This now looks like the Fire TV hot mess of an interface. This is so unusable and a departure from how good the old app was before the channels launched. Now the push to make you pay for more channels is on.
Any alternative recommendations now that both FireTV and AppleTV are ruined by ad pushes.
Hello fellow Cord-Swingers!
I was checking in to Godzilla-King of the Monsters last night with my AMC A-Stubs app when a thought passed through my mind. Is the reason why movie revenue appears to be down this summer? Maybe it is because of all the subscription services. I pay $22 a month for 3 movies a week. How do they track that revenue wise when I am not paying for a ticket to a particular movie?
Could this be the reason for low numbers? I would like to hear your thoughts!
Your loyal boss!