Cordkillers 267 - Nobody Does Worse Trailers Than Netflix (w/ Brian Ibbott)
Watchmen on HBO, Disney's next 8 years of movies, and NBC hinting at a new service. All this and more on Cordkillers! With special guest Brian Ibbott.
CordKillers: Ep. 267 - Nobody Does Worse Trailers Than Netflix
Recorded: May 13 2019
Guest: Brian Ibbott
Netflix's Still LAUGH-IN
NBCUniversal Gives Strong Hint That Most-Loved Titles Including ‘The Office’ Are “Coming Home” Via Streaming Service At Glitzy Upfront
-NBC said some of its most loved TV shows will be "coming home" alluding to the launch of an NBC streaming service next year. Linda Yaccarino, NBC's Chairman of Advertising & Client Partnerships said We’re going to have our own ad supported platform,” she said. “While other companies are pushing advertisers out, we’re bringing them in. It will have a slate of originals and a gigantic library of all favorites. The shows that people love the most and stream the most are coming home at a price that every person can afford: free.” She specifically mentioned Pam and Jim.
Viacom says Pluto TV, its free ad-supported streaming service, has 16M MAU, up from 12M in Jan. when it was acquired, plans to launch in Latin America in 2019
- FASTS (free ad-supported streaming services)
- NBC News published a writeup of Pluto TV May 9.
- 15 million monthly active users
- Pluto co-founder Tom Ryan "“They want to be programmed to, and in a world of infinite choice … making things easier for people is a really valuable thing to do.”
Fubo to deliver ad-supported free streams
- FuboTV will launch a free channel to include live original programming (one example Sports break)
- More free services - Tubi, Xumo, IMDB Freedive, Roku Channel, Vudu's Movies On Us, Sinclair's STIRR
How to Watch
Disney Beats Q2 Estimates, Sets Date For ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Streaming
Disney reveals future of Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar releases post-Fox purchase
New ‘Star Wars’ Titles, ‘Avatar’ Launch Movies To 2021: Disney Release Schedule
Disney could take full control of Hulu, but that doesn’t mean subscribers’ favorite shows disappear
"Disney announcements from latest earnings call
- Avengers: Endgame will come to Disney+ December 11
- Next 8 years 65 movies across Marvel Studios, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Disney Animation, Disney Originals and, of course, Fox
- Star Wars will not return to theaters until 2022, three untitled films on schedule December 16, 2022; December 20, 2024; and December 18, 2026.
- Marvel 2 films 2020 then back to three per year
-Avatar 2 2021, Avatar 3 2023 Avatar 4 2025 (delayed one year)
- Kingsman 2020
- New Mutants now April 3, 2020
- Iger confirmed preliminary discussion with Comcast for the rest of Hulu are underway.
- AT&T's sale of its stake came with specific terms regarding licensed content and channels for Hulu"
What to Watch
More Stars Join One-Night Re-Do Of Norman Lear’s ‘All In The Family’ & ‘The Jeffersons’ On ABC
-Jimmy Kimmel is hosting live presentation of re-creations of All in the Family and The Jeffersons Wednesday May 22 at 8 PM eastern on ABC. Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei play Archie and Edith Bunker. Jamie Foxx is eorge Jefferson and Wanda Sykes is Louise Jefferson. Ellie Kemper will reenact the role of Gloria Stivic, Will Ferrell is set to play Tom Willis, and Justina Machado is Florence Johnston.
CBS All Access will stream its twilight Zone episodes in Black and White starting May 30.
Netflix Thriller I Am Mother. A robot is raising a child in a bunker when Hillary Swank's character breaks in saying she's injured. Coming June 7.
‘The Rook’ Gets Season 1 Premiere Date On Starz
-The Rook based on a book by Daniel O'Malley tells the story of a woman who wakes up with no memory, surrounded by bodies. She finds out she is a member of a secret service for people with paranormal abilities. Coming to Start June 30.
HBO Watchmen Trailer (coming in Autumn)
CW released a 20-second teaser for Batwoman TV show "Coming soon"
‘The Orville’ Renewed by Fox TV (non-Disney) for Season 3
FX renewes ‘What We Do In The Shadows’ for season 2
Star Trek Picard TV Show Will Air on Amazon Internationally within 24 hours of premiere on CBS All Access and Space in Canada.
Kenya Barris to Write, Star in Netflix Comedy Series ‘Black Excellence’ Opposite Rashida Jones
-Kenya Barris will star in a show he's bringing to Netflix alongside Rashida Jones. "Black Excellence" will be a family comedy supposedly similar in tone to Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Brian: Detective Pikachu, The Office, Game of Thrones, finished I Think You Should Leave, started Cupcake and Dino
Tom: What We Do in the Shadows, Predators
Brian: Dead to Me, True Detective
On the Lookout: Pushing Daisies
Roku Grows User Base to 29 Million
-Roku reported it lost $0.09 per share in Q1 on revenue of $207 million, up 51% on the year. Analysts had expected revenue of $190 million and a loss of $0.24 a share. Advertising platform revenue grew 79% on the year to $134 million, while sales of set top boxes crew at a more modest 18% to $72.5 million. Active users grew 2 million in the quarter to 29.1 million. The company estimates that a third of all smart TVs sold in the US in Q1 ran Roku's OS, making it the top smart TV OS in the country for the first time.
Netflix Issues First Top 10 List in the U.K., With ‘Our Planet’ and ‘The Perfect Date’ on Top
-Netflix published its first "most-watched" list in the UK Thursday. "Our Planet" topped the list, followed by "The Perfect Date", The Highwaymen, The Silence and Black Summer. Customers will start seeing the lists on the service itself this week. The numbers are based on most watched indivisual seasons of a show. A watch is counted if the viewer finishes at least 70% of an episode.
NBC Touts ‘The Good Place’ and Comedy as the Heart of Its 2019-2020 Strategy
- NBC is shifting to a year-round programming schedule with one new drama and two new comedies coming in the autumn, while other new shows will rollin winter and spring. NBC execs say comedy is the heart of the brand. NBC says The Good Place’ is actually one of the most viewed series on our air and that the average age of an ‘SVU’ viewer is much closer to 43 than 57." They say episode orders will be more fluid in future, such as 13 for Brooklyn 9-9.
Updated Apple TV app arrives ahead of Apple TV+’s fall launch
- An update to the Apple TV app for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Samsung's 2019 Smart TVs is out. This adds the new channels feature where you can subscribe and watch certain TV providers content without going to their app. This includes HBO, Starz, Showtime, Smithsonian Channel, EPIX and Tastemade, with CBS All-Access and MTV Hits on the way. Shows for channels can be downloaded for offline viewing. It also adds a kids section with family friendly content and will make general recommendations using a combination of algorithms and human curation.
Netflix Strikes Overall Deal With ‘The House Of Flowers’ Creator Manolo Caro & Sets Spanish Period Drama ‘Someone Has To Die’
Netflix buys kids show producer StoryBots
Netflix will adapt more Dark Horse comics into shows and movies
- Netflix is lining up more content sources. It now has a first look deal with Dark Horse for adaptations of comics into TV and movies. There's also a development deal for TV projects from Mexican director Manolo Caro, creator of comedy drama The House of Flowers (La Casa de las Flores), starting with Alguien Tiene Que Morir (Someone Has To Die), a three-part mini-series set in Spain in the 1950s. And finally Netflix acquired StoryBots an emmy-award winning children's show producer known for "Ask the StoryBots." It was founded by the creators of JibJab.
Dispatches from the Front
Hello Tom & Brian,
With Disney+ implying that they will release their shows on a week to to week basis, I thought this was a good time to discuss the topic of binge watching again. Personally, I prefer the week to week episode release as it gives my brain time to digest what has taken place. With that said, I just got through binge re-watching the first 4 episodes of season 8 of Game of Thrones. The entire story flows much better as a binge watch as it does compared to being watched week to week.
I recommend you guys do the same and see what you think.
Thanks and keep up the good work."
Tom and Brian,
I'm writing about your continued discussion in episode 266 of Netflix cancelling a show after 3 seasons. I noticed that many of the Original series, such as The Santa Clarita Diet, have only 10 episodes each season, where most broadcast TV series have 24-26 episodes. So, a three season series on Netflix at 30 episodes is close to a single year on broadcast TV.
So, Netflix cancelling a show after 3 seasons isn't much different than broadcast TV cancelling a show after just one season.
Hi Killers of cords,
In the era of remakes what show would you like to reboot? I love mysteries. So the Thin Man (Nick and. Nora as a tv mystery series. Nick becomes a detective and joins AA, now that Nora has come back into his life with pre-teen Nicky who inherited his father's ability to find trouble), Charlie Chan Mysteries (American-Asian detective in San Francisco any without the Stereo-Types of the age). Murder She Wrote as anthology with clever looked room mysteries.
What TV shows would you like rebooted from movies or TV?
Keep the cordkilling coming