Cordkillers 248 - Five More Years
Peanuts to Apple(s), instant replay on Netflix, and HBO to Facebook. All this and more on Cordkillers!
CordKillers: Ep. 248 - Five More Years
Recorded: December 18 2018
Aggretsuko holiday special coming Dec 20
Nielsen: the second screen is booming as 45% often or always use devices while watching TV
-Nielsen study US Q2 2018
-Use a digital device (phone, tablet) while watching TV.
- 12% never
- 15% Rarely
- 28% sometimes
- 36% very often
- 9% always
- 6% listen to audio of different content while watching
- 71% - Looking up content related to show
- 41% - text or email about show
- 35% - shop for advertised products
- 28% - write or read social media about content
- 15% - tuned to new program after seeing something online
- 38 of average 60 minutes spent on media consumption done between 9 and 10. PM
How to Watch
Facebook wants you to buy HBO on Facebook and watch HBO on Facebook
-ReCode's sources say Facebook is in talks with Pay TV services like HBO, Showtime and Starz to sell their streaming services as add-ons to Facebook Watch, similar to how Amazon sells them as add-ons to Prime Video. Facebook reportedly hopes to launch the option in the first half of 2019.
What to Watch
Documentary on Fyre Festival coming to Netflix Jan. 18
Carmen Sandiego arrives on Netflix Jan. 18 for a 20-episode season.
Variety reports the deals between Marvel and Netflix don't allow the characters to appear in non-Netflix shows or movies for two years after cancellation.
Netflix Will Release Spike Lee-Produced Film About Using Time Travel Against Police Brutality
- Netflix and Spike Lee's production company are making a feature-length version of Stefon Bristol and Fredrica Bailey’s award-winning short film, See You Yesterday, about a pair of young geniuses who create a time machine to stop an act of police brutality. Coming next year.
Apple to bring Charlie Brown and the Peanuts to its streaming service
- Variety reports Apple signed a deal with Canadian broadcaster DHX, which owns Peanuts Worldwide, to produce new content featuring Charles M. Schulz's Peanuts gang including Astronaut Snoopy.
Ryan Reynolds Sent a Gift to the Guy Who Changed the Avengers: Endgame URL Into a Deadpool Advertisement
- Twitter user @AGuyInChair owns AvengersEndgame.com and when it was announced as the official title of the next Avengers movie, he redirected it to Deadpool. He received a gift from Ryan Reynolds a Master& Dynamic pair of headphones with some gin.
There's also a trailer edit of Endgame recplacing everyone with Deadpool.
Netflix tests instant replays for specific scenes
- Netflix confirmed to the LA times it is testing an instant replay feature. A "watch that scene again" option pops up after significant scenes. Netflix said it is "just looking to learn" and "may or may not roll it out more broadly." Test participants have found the popup distracting.
Pedro Pascal revealed as The Madalorian
- Lucasfilm officially announced Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Warrior).
- Jon Favreau as EP
-Directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).
- Coming to Disney+ Late 2019.
Sling TV, ESPN and Fox Now arrive on Oculus Go
- Sling TV, ESPN and Fox Now are all now available on the Oculus Go wireless VR headset. If you've activated an Oculus Go since September 1st or do so by January 15th, you'll receive a code for $80 of Sling subscription credit.
Netflix’s ‘Dark Crystal’ prequel casts Mark Hamill, Natalie Dormer
- Netflix has announced casting for its series The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Taron Egerton (Kingsman), Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) and Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones) will voice the gelflings. Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones), Caitriona Balfe (Outlander), Theo James (Divergent) and Helena Bonham Carter will voice other gelfling characters. Skeksis and Mystics will be voiced by Andy Samberg, Jason Isaacs, Mark Hamill, Keegan-Michael Key, Harvey Fierstein and Simon Pegg.
Dispatches from the Front
I recently signed up for a year of Hulu at $1/month during their Black Friday sale. This is for the limited commercial plan which is normally priced at $8/month. I’ve been watching Dirk Gently for Spoilerin Time and the limited commercials is about 4 or 5 breaks at 90 seconds per break. For $1/month I’m willing I deal with what is about 6-7 minutes of commercial per show, but if I was paying the normal $8/month I would definitely step up to the $12/month no commercial plan. What is your break point on a cost to eliminate commercials?
Also, my Choice for the People’s Killie is Barry. It was such an original show and Bill Hader showed a much wider acting range than I had seen from him before.
Thanks for a great year!
Hey Tom, Brian and Bryce,
Over the weekend I found an amazing list of all the movies ever shown on USA Up All Night & it made me wish there was more human curation on streaming services. Last I wrote in I mentioned my family didn't like the cable experience but I think streaming could make this type of event better. Instead of ""tune in at this time on on this channel"". Its more watch these three movies and here's some commentary videos to watch as well.
I know Brian has mentioned this before but it never really sank in for me until I remembered staying up late to watch The Toxic Avenger on Up All Night with Rhonda Shear. Last episode you guys asked what could new streaming services offer? Heavy human curation with events would be amazing!
Thanks for everything you do!
PS: Here's that link for the Up All Night movie list