Cordkillers 147 - This Sounds Like Cable (w/ Scott Johnson)
DirecTV Now coming now with no DVR but lots of channels, Sling TV adds a cloud DVR, and some Mythbusters come to Netflix. With special guest Scott Johnson.
CordKillers: Ep. 147 - This Sounds Like Cable
Recorded: November 28 2016
Guest: Scott Johnson
- AT&T’s DirecTV Now launches November 30th with over 100 channels of streaming TV
- Good graphic of channel lineups
- Press release
- DirecTV Now launches November 30 in US
- iOS, Android, FireTV, Chromecast, Browser. Roku coming in 2017
- one year included in LeEco TVs
- All major content outlets except CBS
- Two streams simultaneous
- Cloud DVR and pause coming in 2017
- Broadcast networks only live in some markets
- NFL not available on mobile
- HBO and Cinemax $5 each
- Zero-rated on AT&T wireeless
- $35 - 60+ channels
- $50 - 80+ channels
- $60 - 100+ Channels ($35 for a limited time)
- $70 - 120+ Channels
- Also DirecTV Mobile is now called Fullscreen and is $5.99 a month or free for a year to ATT Wireless customers. Has a lot of stuff from Vine stars
- DirecTVPreview is now called FreeVIEW and will be available for free int eh DirecTV Now app. (Content from Otter and DirecTV's Audience channel)
How to Watch
- Sling TV takes on rivals with launch of a cloud DVR
- Sling TV announced a beta of a cloud DVR feature for it’s online TV service. Unlike the PlayStation Vue service the DVR will not have a 28 day limit per show. Shows can be stored as along as a user wants with a limit of 100 hours of storage. Though not all channels may be available to record. Participation is invite only but users can sign up to be invited at http://www.sling.com/dvr.
- Sling TV is joining Comcast's X1 cable platfom
- Sling TV is joiningNetflix on Comcast’s Xfinity X1 settop box.
- In case this is too weird for you to believe you heard write. Yes, people who already subscribe to Comcast cable can now access Sling TV’s similar service using the Comcast X1 cable box
- Sling positioned it as a way to get “multicultural” programming.
- Dish merged its International OTT service with Sling TV awhile back so there are loads of International and non-English language channels available.
- But it said ALL Sling TV packages will be available.
What to Watch
What We're Watching
- Brian: Westworld, Justified, Galactica 1980, Ash v Evil Dead, movies w/mikey Serenity
- Tom: Legends of Tomorrow, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Moana, Justified (407), The Americans (Season 3), Westworld, The Walking Dead
- Scott: Arrival, Fantastic Beasts, South Park
- On the Lookout: 3%
- The Grand Tour breaks Amazon Prime video audience record, says Amazon
- Amazon says The Grand Tour had more streams in its premiere than its previous best show, The Man in the High Castle. Additionally on Grand Tour premier day, new Prime membership sign-ups exceeded all previous days, with the exception of their promotional Prime Day.
- Google flip flops on Google Cast/Chromecast branding again
- Earlier this year Google started using Google Cast to refer to the technology that lets you send video from one device to another. So your phone used Google Cast to send video to your Chromecast or your TV which had Google Cast built in. Well that lasted eight months. Hot on the heels of changing the Cast app to be called Home, Google is now using Chromecast to refer to both the technology and the device. So your TV has Chromecast built-in now. HOWEVER the developer API is still called Google Cast. Got it?
- "Netflix tax" may be coming soon to your bill
- Pasadena, California is among 40 California cities trying to impose a tax on streaming services like Netflix. The cities are losing money they used to collect from taxes on cable TV service and telephones. Federal law does not allow Internet service to be taxed as a utility. Chicago is being sued over its 9% tax on video streaming.
- Legendary Acquires Frank Herbert’s Classic Sci-Fi Novel ‘Dune’ For Film And TV
- Legendary has acquired the rights to Frank Herbert’s Dune. Alejandro Jodorowsky spent years developing a film starring Salvador Dali and Orsaon Welles with art by HR Giger that was never. Of Course David Lynch famously finished a movie that he then removed his name from. And a TV mini series was created in 2000 directed by John Harrison and starring William Hurt. So each time we get a little closer to something really good?
Dispatches from the Front
I wanted to give you a suggestion on an app that I use and it's called TVshow time. I'm not sure if it's available on iOS but it has an extremely good rating of 4.7 on Android with over a million downloads I believe. Here is a link to it in the play store.
Hey guys, love the show and I am a proud patreon supporter. But wanted to throw this out and maybe something other people from the audience may have an answer for. For this Thanksgiving weekend I was planning on watching some movies with my dad and figured that I would do it legally :) The problem came that I wanted these in spanish. Well it turns out that that I could not find either Amazon or the Google play Store to have titles like suicide squad, Deadpool in anything other than English.
Any help in this would be appreciated.
P. S. I am a bit of an apple hater and don't have any apple device so iTunes was not even something that I looked at.
I just noticed that HBO Now ($15) was cheaper than HBO ($19) added on to my mother's Dish account, so I went to cancel HBO through Dish with the intent of subscribing to HBO Now...when I went to the Dish website and tried to drop HBO, I was immediately presented with a dialog box asking if I'd like to keep HBO for $7.50 per month for 6 months.
Now the chicken challenge just takes a few clicks and doesn't require human interaction...should be a no-brainer for anyone paying full price for HBO on Dish.