CordKillers: Ep. 58 - Sony’s Doing it with Marvel
Recorded: February 16, 2015
Guest: Ewen Rankin
- It's Official! Spider-Man WILL Appear In The Marvel Movies
-Spider-Man will appear in an unspecified Marvel Film in the MCU
- Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.
- Buzzfeed says Andrew Garfield will be re-cast.
- Marvel press release: "Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger.”
- MCU characters may appear in Spider-Man films
- New spider-man “installment” July 28, 2017. Co-produced by Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal.
- Marvel Studios pushes back Thor, Black Panther, and more to make room for Spider-Man
- Thor: Ragnarok will move to Nov. 3, 2017. Black Panther moves to Jul 6, 2018 and Captain Marvel to 11/2/2018 and Inhumans 7/12/2019
- Don’t forget Captain America: Civil War set for May 6, 2016
- CBS CEO talks PlayStation Vue and standalone Showtime
-CBS CEO Les Moonves loves to say things in earnings calls.
- Standalone Showtime under consideration
- “"we'll share as many details with you as HBO did, which is none at all.”
- CBS All Access and CBSN “exceeding expectations.”
- CBS execs also noted it's making more selling its shows internationally than it does from the top two US streaming services combined
- NY Posts’ Clair Atkinson said - CBS has a deal with PlayStation Vue because they’re paying more than anyone else
- Sling TV's Giving Away Roku and Amazon Streaming Sticks
- Amazon Fire TV Gets Sling TV and More
-Fire TV gets Fox Sports Go, TED and WSJLive
- AND Sling TV
- Prepay for three months of Sling TV ($60)
Amazon Fire TV $50 off
- Fire TV stick or Roku Streaming Stick - free
- Sling TV takes a swing at HBO with Epix video-on-demand
- AMC has not shown up yet
- Getting a movie package. No price. Includes Epix, Epix2, Epix3, and Epix Drive-In and 2,000 movies from Epix on-demand. (no pricing yet)
- (Epix and Netflix signed a 5-year deal deal in 2010. Amazon and Epix signed a deal in 2012.)
- BitTorrent takes on Netflix and Amazon with new original content partnership
-We previously mentioned BitTorrent’s partnership with Rapid Eye Studios to launch an original sci-fi show called Children of the Machine. Children of the Machine will now launch in "late 2015" as a free ad-supported video through BitTorrent Bundles. You can also pay $9.95 for no ads and bonus features. ALSO BitTorrent's chief content officer and his team are moving from San Francisco to LA to work with the Rapid Eye team. The partners intend to launch shows with a 30-60 day exclusive window.
- Target closes down its Target Ticket digital movie store
-Target’s Target Ticket service will close March 7th after fewer than 18 months. New rentals will end Tuesday. Movies will be transferred to Cinemanow for access. Target will give Cinemanow coupons for movies that cannot be transferred. (presumably non Ultraviolet movies.
- Netflix releases, then removes, House of Cards season 3 two weeks early
-10 episodes from the third season of House Of Cards appeared briefly on Netflix Feb. 11.The company realized it's mistake, took the episodes down and blamed a "technical glitch". The official House of Cards Twitter posted "This is Washington. There's always a leak. All 13 episodes will launch February 27.
- Freeview's new on-demand service will be called Freeview Play
- -Freeview will call its on demand service FreeView Play. Arqiva, BBC, Channel 4, ITV and Sky so expect those companies on demand services to be available alongside free over the air broadcasts.
- Hulu has cast James Franco as Jake Epping in JJ Abrams and Bridget Carpenter's adaptation of Stephen King’s 11/23/63 into a 9-hour event series.
- Star Trek Continues met Kickstarter goals of two more episodes, and to create sets for engineering, planets.
- NBC Launches Mobile App With 300 Hours Of ‘Saturday Night Live’ Video
-In celebration of Saturday Night Live’s 40th anniversary, NBC launched a mobile app with 5500 sketches with 300+ hours of video. (The shows have been available in a browser at Yahoo Screen since 2013 and internationally through ZEFR)
- The Game Of Thrones TV Show Is Gonna Start Killing New Characters Now
-Feb. 14 at Writers Guild West Awards, George RR Martin said: "People are going to die who don't die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy. So everybody better be on their toes. David and D.B. are even bloodier than I am."
- Brian: Hacking the System, Better Call Saul, Marco Polo, Peaky Blinders, The Walking Dead (4 episodes)
- Tom: Better Call Saul, Hacking the System, Star Wars: Rebels, The Daily Show, Jon Stewart Show, The Flash, Agent Carter, Arrow, Archer, Marco Polo, Rats: Night of Terror, The Walking Dead, SNL 40th Anniversary
- Ewen: Wolf Hall, Better Call Saul, The Shield
Dispatches from the Front
SLING TV IS A BAD JOKE. I think you guys and many people have missed the whole problem with Sling TV -- because it's Internet it sounds like Netflix or HBO Go but it's not because it's linear, not on demand. On-demand is a major aspect of TV 2.0. Sling TV is antiquated linear (over IP) with commercials which is worse than Hulu. If it were free I wouldn't watch it.
Hey guys. Love the show. I picked up sling tv. So far I am not sold on it. My mother loves it because she can watch HGTV. But I cannot watch the same channel as her at the same time. And, all the new shows are on in the evening when I'm at work. So I miss everything anyway. But, my mother wants me to keep it, so I probably will. I wish it had more for the cost though. Thank you for the show.
I was listening to the podcast and I thought I heard Tom refer to El Rey Network as one of the Spanish channels.
Whether you said that or not - (Who cares right?) - I think it's important to point out that El Rey Network is actually my favorite network on the service.
It's an English language channel which delivers what Spike TV promised to be in the early days!
Grindhouse - Exploitation Films - Black-sploitation Films- Gritty 80s TV at it's best!
But the real diamond in the rough is its original content.
From Dusk 'Til Dawn (The Series) - I haven't caught this yet but it looks good and it's on Netflix
Lucha Underground - If you are into wrestling - this show is awesome.
The storyline is always well shot - very cinematic - and the action very hardcore.
Anyway I figured I'd point out El Rey network since it's right under your nose but easy to miss.
As always love the show.
Wil - EskoBomb
Cordkiller and Patron
Just wanted to write in to say I was looking for "Hacking the System" today to purchase online. I cut the cord 5 years ago in favor of an Netflix, an antenna & Windows Media Center (played through Xbox 360) so I don't have access to Nat. Geo. I believe Brian said that he couldn't get Amazon's search to find the show. I had the same result and had to go so far as to use the search operator "site:amazon.com hacking the system" to find it. Even then it showed up as the third result.
While that kind of sucks, I think the take-away here is clear. Brian should now market "Hacking the System" as "the show Amazon doesn't want you to see." If nothing else you should get some awful click-bait headlines out of it.
Listening to you talk with Malengo and his sticking with Comca$t it got me thinking. It'd be interesting to hear what your guests and maybe your listeners are paying for TV or TV+internet. My guess is that it varies wildly. However I also understand this might be to personal a question for some.
I'll go first. I've not paid for cable or satellite since at least 2005. Currently I pay $57 for internet and phone with FiOS. I've friends who are paying $190!!! a month for internet and cable with Comcast. I'm not sure which package they get but that's their rate after the introductory offer expired.
I think you two are doing a fine job. Keep up the good work.
Your boss in Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys just a short message to confirm that we in Latin America and the Caribbean will and have received the latest episode of Better Call Saul on Netflix on Tuesday mornings. In fact the first 2 episodes were waiting for me at 9am est. I know Europe is supposed to be receiving the same treatment but I just wanted to send you a confirmed report from the field. This is your corespondent, Marlon "TheGuyFromTrinidad" reporting in from the beautiful twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago.