Xbox helps out over-the-air users in Europe, but do we care? Also broadband outpaces cable TV for the first time. And why Brian is so excited about Vimeo?
CordKillers: Ep. 33 - I remember Coax!
Recorded: August 17, 2014
Guest: Ewen Rankin
- Cable Companies Sell More Broadband Than TV
- - Leichtman research reports broadband passed TV in subs among cable cos.
- 49,915,000 Internet v. 49,910,000 TV
- Netflix latest weapon to take on HBO: Cosby
- Netflix has 4 new comedy specials coming this year
- Bill Cosby 77 Nov. 28
- Jim Jeffries BARE August 29 (Aussie)
- Bill Burr “I’m sorry you feel that way” Dec. 5
- Chelsea Peretti “One of the Greats” (Brooklyn 99) Nov. 14
- Mohu Unboxing
- Thanks to TV streaming, the Xbox One is about to get more useful to your phone or tablet
- Xbox One getting updated media playback later this month (early access)
- Stream live television through smart glass (only in regions that can use the tuner dongle)
- Media playback from connected USB or DLNA source
- Vote for which new shows Amazon should give the green light to
- - Amazon’s third pilot season is uncerway
- The pilots arrive August 28 in US and UK
-The Cosmopolitans - White Americans in Paris looking for love and friendship ( Adam Brody and Chloë Sevigny )
-Hand of God - Hard-drinking judge seeks venegance and believes he has messages from God (directed by Mark Forster Quantum of Solace)(Ron Perlman)
-Hysteria - Austin neurologist tries to stop a diseases spread through friendship. (created by Shaun Cassidy, starring Mena Suvari)
-Really - Comedy. Chicagoans in their thirties deal with being in their thirties.
-Red Oaks - coming-of-age in the 1980s.
- Microsoft is in preliminary talks with Warner Brothers to buy the Xbox Entertainment Studios
- Xbox One is the first set top box to get YouTube’s new look for TV-connected devices.
- -It includes a pop-up guide, latest videos from subscriptions and curated channels. This makes YT a lot easier to use to watch series.
- @SteamDB found references to film, tvseries and music apps in the source code for Valve’s Steam video game service.
- -Could there be a new storefront in the marketplace soon?
- Pluto.TV launched a version of the service for Amazon’s Fire TV. This is Pluto.tv’s first native app.
- Warner brothers box design for the Blu-Ray edition of Edge of Tomorrow uses Live, Die, Repeat almost as the title
- -With the name “edge of tomorrow” very small and out of the way.
- Vimeo launched a new Roku app with a custom inteface. You can watch staff picks and curated Collections without needing an account now.
2014 Summer Movie Draft
- Amtrekker: $725,945,894
- TMS: $652,206,224
- DTNS: $613,133,262
- Night Attack: $572,123,262
- /Film: $563,735,995
- GodsMoneybags: $462,690,570
On Our Radar
- Brian: The Regular Show season 8, The Leftovers, Fargo ep 1, Quick Draw on Hulu
- Tom: Going Deep with David Rees, The Leftovers, The Shield (301)(This may be my favorite Shield episode overall yet), Quick Draw
- Ewen: Hannibal Season 2 and finished Season 1 of The Bridge
Dispatches from the Front
Hello Cord Killers
So the WWE Network launched outside the US this week and I tried it out as it's the first major cord cutting service here in Australia. While I haven't been a fan of the content since the early 2000's I thought it would be fun to try.
I was so impressed with the quality of the WWE's offering I decided to use Unblock-us.com to sign up for Netflix which is still in limbo here. I was left scratching my head at one thing tho. Netflix is often touted as having a massive library of content but I found lots of content I'd like to watch missing, both new and old content that is available on DVD and Blu-ray. For instance all 4 of the Transformers home released movies are missing (1986 and the 3 modern movies). I was really disappointed to also see the 3 Stargate series are not available.
What is the rule of thumb for what content is and isn't available on Netflix and other services?
Nik your newest boss.
I'm such a huge fan of the show, please keep doing what you're doing! But as your boss I would like to direct you both to something that you have failed to mention. I am the Producer on a show called Quick Draw on Hulu. We have just started releasing the second season of this very funny show and yet no comment from you both. Since I am your boss, and I make my living producing this show, I feel that your own careers rely on the success of this show. Please watch at your earliest convenience and I'm happy to take any notes.
Piggybacking on the draft conversation from episode 32… I’d like to setup a small movie draft with a few friends. Is there a set of rules or a summary/description that I can pass around to get them up to speed?
I’m the only Cordkillers listener of the bunch (I’m working on them!) and am therefore the only one who’s ever heard of the draft. While I know the basics from listening to the show, I’ve never actually watched a draft episode …or is that all I need to do and it’s all spelled out there and I’m a dummy for asking?
Love the show(s)!
Okay, had to write in again to address Brian's issue with over the air TV. Does he not realize that over the air has the best picture and sound quality of all the other options available?