Cordkillers Ep. 25 - Dongle fatigue
Netflix is getting into late night talk shows. On demand at all times. Also who wants another dongle even if it is from Firefox?
CordKillers: Ep. 25 - Dongle fatigue
Recorded: June 23, 2014
Guest: Lamarr Wilson
- Netflix adds a new kind of original programming: The talk show
- Netflix and Chelsea Handler will launch a late-night talk show style show on Netflix in 2016
- Her last episode on E! will be August 26 this year.
- She will also do a comedy special for Netflix and four mini mockumentaries.
- Amazon Instant Video Now Supports Free First Episodes on iOS
- First episode free
- Firefly Rolls Out Visual Search And Buying Capabilites to Amazon Fire Phone
- Amazon today updated its Instant Video iOS app to add support for its First Episode Free offer for checking out TV shows. Previously, only Kindle Fire and Roku devices had access to the program.
- Firefly on new Amazon Fire phone can recognise a show you’re watching and let you buy it
- AMC's plans for an internet TV service leak out, but don't expect 'Mad Men'
- The Information has sources that AMC
- will launch websites focused on specific categories, like documentaries or horror, possibly with the help of a web video startup it's invested in called DramaFever.
- Mozilla Says It’s Not Working on a Firefox TV Dongle, but a Partner Could Be
- Friday Mozilla dev Christian Hellman tweeted: “A fully open TV casting prototype device running #FirefoxOS. Open boot loader and all.”
- Mozilla says: This is not a Mozilla project, and we do not make devices,”
- GigaOm says Mozilla has been working closely with an unnamed partner on the project.
- Breaking Bad' is now available on Netflix in 4K - joins House of Cards and Nature Documentaries
- Finally, Details From J. Michael Straczynski and the Wachowskis' Sense8
- Sense8 from the Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski
- The series follows eight characters around the world who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, find themselves linked to each other mentally and emotionally.
- Naveen Andrews (Lost), Daryl Hannah, Brian J. Smith (Stargate: Universe), Tuppence Middleton (Jupiter Ascending),
- Indian actress Tena Desae, South Korean actress Doona Bae, German actor Max Riemelt, Mexican actors Alfonso Herrera and Erendira Ibarra
- Filming in Chicago, San Francisco, London, Iceland, Seoul, Mumbai, Berlin, Mexico City and Nairobi
- Google did not buy TWitch yet, as was hotly rumored but the two companies are cooperating quite closely.
- Today a new Live Annotations feature for YouTube lets game broadcasters add a real-time notification to their YouTube videos when they’re live on TWitch.
- An Asian-language TV station in the San Francisco area called KTSF has incorporated Nielsen’s mobile measurement technology in itsiOS app.
- It will do the same soon for Android. Meaning smartphone and tablet viewers will count in the ratings. In other words, independent OTA broadcast realizes monetizing all the eyeballs is important.
- AMC has already renewed Breaking Bad spinoff ‘Better Call Saul’ for a second season
- Even though the first hasn’t aired. PLUS the first season has been delayed until the first quarter of 2015.
- A federal judge rejected Viacom’s motion to dismiss an antitrust lawsuit brought by Cablevision.
- Viacom, like most network operators, requires cable companies to carry a dozen channels if it wants the four most popular. Cablevision calims this is anticompetitive behavior. Is it?
- The Supreme Court recesses at the end of June so we can expect to hear a decision in the Aereo case by the end of this week.
- Schedule for announcement of opinions has been released for Wednesday and Thursday at 10 AM and there’s also the option of scheduling on Monday June 30. Latest guess on the decision?
- Chromecast owners can now stream live video streams from Android and iOS YouTube apps.
- Chromecast has been great for YouTube videos unless they’re live like Cordkillers on Monday afternoons. You could only do that from the desktop. Until now!
2014 Summer Movie Draft
- TMS: $483,530,850
- DTNS: $474,226,931
- Amtrekker: $445,795,839
- GodsMoneybags: $265,200,897
- /Film: $199,596,734
- Night Attack: $149,398,297
- Brian: Orange is the New Black (Netflix), Silicon Valley (HBOGo), parts of Dear Mr. Watterson (Netflix), new TF2 short "Expiration Date" (rewatched old ones, too)
- Tom: World Cup, Orphan Black (iTunes) The Shield (Amazon) Orange is the New Black (Netflix) Silicon Valley (HBOGo)
- Lamarr: Falling Skies Season Premiere (4), The Machine (99 cent rental on iTunes), new Phineas and Ferb episodes, and a TON of Twitch (UFC, Mario Kart, & Marvel Hereos 2015)
Dispatches from the Front
Hey Brian and Tom, I have taken your chicken challenge and I contacted my cable company. I have Imon Cable in my area and when I contacted them to cut the cord. The best they could give me was 20 off my bill. So I told them to shut it off. Now I'm stuck with a dilemma of what over the air antenna to get. Do you have any suggestions?"
So I recently finished The Shield, the latest season of Game of Thrones, and season 2 of Orange is the New Black. I was wondering if you guys let season finale's ruin a season or a show for you? I didn't like the way Shield ended and Orange was down right horrible. I know a few people who refuse to call The Wire the best show ever because of season 5 but a bad finale doesn't stop people from recommending The Soprano's does it? Where do you guys draw the line at how much one final episode's impact of a series?
You did it!! When you read my email about the Spoilerin' Time time codes, you kinda just mixed it in with the other guy's chapter request. But you added the time codes, I'm stoked! I just remembered I'm only a patron of DTNS, not Cordkillers. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?! (Fixing that now…) It's funny, I always thought my wife was crazy for reading GoT recaps, but now I realize that I love it too, but in audio format. Keep it up guys, love everything.
Time codes in the Spoilerin' Time show notes is the best.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Hey guys -- really enjoy the show. Just wanted to add a couple thoughts regarding this week's podcast. 1 - Netflix does not actually own the syndication rights for any of their originals, the studios behind them do. MRC owns House of Cards and Hemlock Grove, Lionsgate owns Orange is the New Black, and 20th Fox owns Arrested Development. When they show up on linear cable in international markets and in the future domestically, it's these studios selling the rights, not Netflix. 2 - Worth noting that before Playstation TV, Powers was previously in development at FX. They even shot a pilot back in 2011 (http://bit.ly/U7FLBO). So in essence, an upstart ""network"" -- Playstation TV -- will be trying to succeed where one of the very best networks -- FX -- couldn't. That's a tough task. Anyways, just trying to be helpful!
Music Documentaries on Netflix
- Talihina Sky: The Story of Kings of Leon
- Upside Down: The Creation Records Story
- Ken Burns: Jazz (available until July 1, 2014)
- Shut Up and Play the Hits
- Good Ol' Freda