Cordkillers 276 - The Rump Fox
Marvel's massive MCU Phase Four, Comic-Con announcements and trailers, Netflix earnings, and The Expanse is coming back this year. All this and more on Cordkillers!
Next week on It's Spoilerin' Time: Extras (106). Maybe: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
CordKillers: 276 - The Rump Fox
Recorded: July 22 2019
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.
Marvel reveals massive Phase Four film and television plan
‘The Eternals’ Cast, Plot Details Revealed
Simu Liu Tapped to Star in Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’
Marvel Cinematic Universe at Comic-Con: Avengers Unite
Benedict Cumberbatch Set For ‘Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness’
Jeffrey Wright To Narrate Marvel’s Animated ‘What If…?’ For Disney+
Natalie Portman Will Play Female Thor in ‘Thor Love and Thunder’
New ‘Fantastic Four’ Movie in Development at Marvel
Disney+ will play a huge part in MCU phase four
Future Marvel projects will include the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Captain Marvel 2
Blade Movie In the Works With Mahershala Ali: Marvel At Comic-Con
- Marvel Phase Four will be 10 movies and Disney + Series
- Black Widow (May 1st, 2020) with Scarlett Johnasson, Rachel Weisz, Florence Pugh, and David Harbour
- Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Fall 2020) Picking up after Endgame. Daniel Bruhl is returning as villain Zemo.
- The Eternals (November 6th, 2020) Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie.
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (February 12, 2021) directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, Simu Liu (Kim's Convenience) as Shang-Chi and Tony Leung The Mandarin for real.
-WandaVision (Spring 2021) leading right into Dr. Strange 2, Monica Rambeau who will be portrayed as an adult by Teyonah Parris
- Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness (May 7th, 2021) directed by Scott Derrickson. described as horror film with Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch too
- Loki (Spring 2021) after he escaped with Tesseract in 2012
- What If...?(Summer 2021) Jeffrey Wright as The Watcher narrating the episodes
- Hawkeye (Fall 2021) exploring his time as Ronin
- Thor: Love and Thunder (November 5th, 2021) directed by Taika Waittiti with Natalie Portman as Thor, Chris Hemsworth also as Thor and Tess Thompson as Valkyrie (Based on series The Mighty Thor by Jason Aron)
- Blade starring Mahershala Ali
- Mentioned without details or dates
- Black Panther
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Captain Marvel
- Fantastic Four
- More at D23 Anaheim August 23-25
How to Watch
Netflix U.S. Subs Drop in Q2 After Price Hikes, Company Blames Global Forecast Miss on Content Slate
- Netflix reported it added 2.7 million subscribers last quarter about half of the 5 million it expected. In the US, it lost 130,000 subscribers, it's first drop since 2011 when it split DVDs and streaming apart. The company noted it saw it missed its forecast by wider margins in areas with price increases. Netflix also says its original content in Q2 drove less growth than it had anticipated. Netflix expects to add 7 million subscribers in Q3, 800,000 from the US.
- Netflix says when it drops catalog content from third parties it sees members shift to other content rather than drop subscriptions.
- U.S., customers spend only about 10% of their TV-viewing time on Netflix “and less of their mobile screen time, so we have much room for growth.”
- Hits in Q2 were Dead to Me (30 mm), When they See Us (Ava Duvernay - 25mm), The Perfect Date (48mm), Always be My maybe (32mm).
-Upcoming Quarter has Stranger Things Season 3, final season of Orange is the New Black. “Ozark” season 3, Jerry Seinfeld’s “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee,” “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance,” as well as comedy specials including those from Aziz Ansari, Whitney Cummings and Katherine Ryan. Original films on tap for later in 2019 include “The Irishman” from Martin Scorsese and action movie “6 Underground,” directed by Michael Bay and starring Ryan Reynolds).
Netflix Insists It Won’t Move Into Selling Advertising
- “We, like HBO, are advertising free,” the company said in its letter to investors. “That remains a deep part of our brand proposition; when you read speculation that we are moving into selling advertising, be confident that this is false. We believe we will have a more valuable business in the long term by staying out of competing for ad revenue and instead entirely focusing on competing for viewer satisfaction.”
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings may have missed the real reason why U.S. subscriber numbers plunged
- Nielsen found if video streaming subscribers don’t know what they want to watch, they’re almost twice as likely to tune into their favorite broadcast television channel (58%) rather than browse through the menus of their streaming services (33%)
- 44% of polled viewers said they would scan through television channels to decide what to watch, while 26% said they watch shows recommended by their subscription service.
- The preference is stronger in the 35 to 49-year-old demographic, compared to viewers between the ages of 18 and 34.
Netflix’s Ted Sarandos Talks Ratings, Paying Film Talent And HBO’s Emmy Haul
- “It’s important for us to help condition the market to understand what the viewing data is so it’s not being compared apples to oranges against things that are not similar. If we started publishing tomorrow, we’d be the only streaming service doing it.”
What to Watch
Hulu released season 4 of Veronica Mars early with all episodes available to watch now.
Titans Season 2 will premiere on DC Universe September 6.
Full-length trailer for HBO's Watchmen arrived. Coming Fall 2019.
Trailer for Apple's Snoopy in Space. Coming this fall.
Also a full trailer for "For All Mankind" Coming in the fall.
His Dark Materials trailer coming to HBO. Coming this fall.
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood November 2019 Tom Hanks Stars as Fred Rogers
A clip from Rick and Morty Season 4 shows Morty and his Dad with an intern and an ominous beeping sound. Coming November 2019.
The Man in the High Castle opening minutes was shown. The final season begins on Prime Video November 15.
The Expanse season 4 will arrive on Prime Video December 13.
Cats trailer looks like Cats with digital fur. Comes December 20.
New Trailer for the Witcher coming to Netflix by the end of the year.
CBS offers the first trailer for 'Star Trek: Picard'
- The first trailer for Star Trek: Picard revealed more details including showing 7 of 9, Hugh and Data. Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis also were confirmed to be in the series. Early 2020
- Also Star Trek: Discovery will take place 1,000 years after the events of the 2nd season. Somehow Spock, Pike and Number One will be in it too. They were all over the "Short Treks" trailer which will also return with six shorts.
Snowpiercer TV Show (TBS) w/ Jennifer Connelly and Daveed Diggs. 7 years after events of the film. Coming Spring 2020
Top Gun: Maverick Summer 2020
The Orville season 3 will be a Hulu exclusive. in late 2020.
Doom Patrol will get a second season on DC Universe but will also appear on HBO Max in 2020.
Westworld trailer shows more of the characters plus a view at World War II world? Nazi world? germany world? Ayway coming in 2020.
NBC's AP Bio will get a third season on NBC's forthcoming streaming service. Coming in 2020
Apple's only decent TV show you can watch, Carpool Karaoke, has been renewed for a third season.
Brian: Cast Away, Lion King, Extras
Tom: Killing Eve, Apollo 18
On the Lookout: Apollo 11 on Hulu
HBO Sets New Single Season Emmy Nom Record With 137 & Beats Netflix
- HBO set a record for most Emmy nominations in a single season with 137. Netflix received 117 nominations, five more than it got last year when it led in nominations. HBO held the rpevious nomination record with 126 in 2015. Among the HBO nominees are Game of Thrones (32), Chernobyl (19), Barry (17), Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (9), True Leaving Neverland and Succession (5). Netflix had nominations for When They See Us (16), Russian Doll (13), Ozark (9) and GLOW (5). NBC was third with 58 and Prime Video fourth with 47. Hulu had 20.
Avengers; Endgame passed Avatar's $2.7897 on Sunday to become the highest grossing movie of all time. Endgame is second domestically at $853 million behind The Force Awakens $936 million.
Netflix Picks Up U.S. VOD Rights To Eurovision Song Contest 2019 & 2020
- Netflix has purchased the on demand rights for this year's already completed Eurovision song contest as well as next year's. Netflix will not live stream next year's contest though leaving the US still without a domestic broadcaster for the live version.
NBC News to Produce Two Daily Shows for Jeffrey Katzenberg’s Quibi
- NBC News will produce daily morning and evening newscasts for Quibi, seven days a week. It's the first announced partner for Quibi's "Daily Essentials" news and lifestyle lineup. NBC will have a dedicated staff of producers and reporters as well as a dedicated studio for Quibi news content, but will draw content from existing NBC News products.
ITV & BBC Officially Unveil UK Streaming Service BritBox With Titles Including ‘Love Island’ & ‘Gentleman Jack’
- ITV and BBC unveiled plans for the UK version of Britbox. The first shows to be available in the UK on the streaming service will include Love Island and Gentleman Jack. It will be priced at £5.99. The product is separate and will have different offerings from the US version.
Netflix Revises Controversial ’13 Reasons Why’ Suicide Scene
- Netflix has edited the suicide scene from season one of Thirteen Reasons Why on the advice of medical experts, including Dr. Christine Moutier, Chief Medical Officer at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Season one premiered two years ago. Season three is set to launch this summer.
Dispatches from the Front
Hi all - not sure if you’ve covered Kanopy before (I normally listen at bedtime and might have nodded off once or twice) but it’s a free streaming service I just discovered my county library system uses. All you need is your library card number and pin to access what I think is pretty decent collection of movies, as well as kids content (mostly PBS, I think) and “The Great Courses” series. My library allows me to watch 10 items a month, which doesn’t include kids content or the Great Course which are unlimited. I imagine the content depends on the library system so the amount of content might depend on library funding. Also, if you belong to more than one library system you can add the credits together to watch more. I don’t know about other public other library systems but I continue to be impressed by how our library (Howard County Maryland) is keeping up with the times.
Hey guys I was thrilled when you read my travel tips email, but then cringed when I realized I left out one letter of the software that converts .tivo files to .mp4 files for transfer to your ipad or laptop.. It is called pavtube video converter you can find at pavtube.com
Anyway, listen every week and hopes this helps fellow tivo users
Tom et al,
I have never heard you mention the Dust channel on YouTube. I think you and your listeners interested in Sci-Fi should check it out. Who knows, you might find someone to make a short movie from one of your books.