Cordkillers 180 - Cautiably Anarchistic
Our thoughts on the hot trailers from Comic-Con, how we fell about Internet cable replacements, and broadcasting baseball in VR. With special guest Nicole Lee.
CordKillers: Ep. 180 - Cautiably Anarchistic
Recorded: July 24 2017
Guest: Nicole Lee
- Defenders: Netflix August 18
- Orville comes to Fox September 10
- Star Trek Discovery Coming to CBS All Access September 24 (15 episodes)
- Stranger Things returns to Netflix October 27
- Thor: Ragnarok in theaters November 3
- Justice League in theaters November 17
- Bright, starring Will Smith coming to Netflix December 22
- Westworld: Returning sometime in 2018.
- Ready Player One opens March 30
How to Watch
- Hulu’s Live TV service arrives on Amazon Fire TV
- YouTube TV triples its footprint with launches in 10 more U.S. markets
What to Watch
What We're Watching
- Brian: Preacher (all caught up!), Game of Thrones, Firefly, GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling
- Tom: Preacher, Game of Thrones, Twin Peaks, Firefly
- Nicole: Glow
- On the Lookout: Ozark
- Netflix was the top grossing app in Q2, with mobile revenue up 233% since last year
- Analytics company Sensor Tower reports Netflix was the top earning app in Q2, up 233% year over year to $153 million. The average revenue growth across the app stores is 56%. Hulu revenue grew 22% in the quarter according to the report.
- Hulu is adding a ton of new TV shows, including Glee, How I Met Your Mother, and MASH
- As part of its deal with 20th Century Fox Television, Hulu is getting all episodes of How I Met Your Mother, MASH, NYPD Blue, and Glee. How I Met Your Mother remains available on Netflix too.
- Stargate is coming back as a digital-only prequel series
- MGM announced a series of 10-minute shows called “Stargate Origins” coming to a new site called stargatecommand.com The site will be a home to all things Stargate. There seems to be some confusion over whether this will be a new streaming service you might have to pay for. No release date was announced.
- Amazon orders two seasons of Mr. Robot creator’s podcast adaptation
- Amazon has ordered two seasons of Homecoming, an adaptation of the psychological thriller podcast. The TV series will be directed and produced by Sam Esmail of Mr. Robot fame.
Dispatches from the Front
I was about to sign up for my free hbo pass to start game of thrones season 7, but google Play notified me I could purchase a season pass early. I assume the other stores (apple/amazon) also have it posted ... I haven't seen any news if HBO plans to post episode by episode this year to the stores week in week out.
Even if it was delayed 7 days ... better than last season when it was delayed a fully ear to the stores. Have either of you heard what HBO's plans are for episode releases?
Tom, Brian, and Hammond,
I have four daughters and I still help with car insurance, health insurance, and Netflix. It is no longer the days of getting a job and your parent dropping you off to sink or swim. So they run off my Netflix I actually had one daughter say she'd rather lose health insurance than Netflix, oh to be young. Love the the show although I can't quite the cord cut yet. If Netflix gets pissy, well, we'll see.
Adult Swim has stopped livestreaming Space Ghost Coast To Coast episodes (unfortunately), but it's replaced it with a full-on stream of Rick & Morty! And even better, it streams the episodes in order! Check it out here:
On the latest Cordkillers Susanna wrote in about a cord cutting question for her mother. She mentioned keeping her internet connection and land line.
I don't think I've ever heard you guys go into detail about cutting the phone cord so I wanted to mention a land line alternative.
I got rid of my land line years ago and signed up for a free Google Voice number that I forwarded to my mobile phone. That way I had a home phone number I could give out to people and keep my mobile number a little more private.
My youngest son is now at the age where we are able to leave him home alone but he doesn't have a mobile phone. I bought an Obi200 voip adapter for $50 and a good old fashioned corded phone. I can connect it to the Google voice service and now I have an absolutely free phone connection at home.
It doesn't include 911 services but that can be added for a small monthly fee.