Cordkillers 174 - Cordkidders (w/ Nicole Lee)
Millennials only know shows come from Netflix and elsewhere. Xbox brings the 4K but should you care? Apple does a TV show. With special guest Nicole Lee.
CordKillers: Ep. 174 Cordkidders
Recorded: June 12 2017
Guest: Nicole Lee
Study shows Millennials forgot about regular TV
- Consulting firm Anatomy Media
- Most viewers age 18-26 can’t match television shows from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, or Disney to their respective networks. (31%)
- Netflix is the exception. (65%)
- Amazon worse than all at 20%
comScore: cord cutters tend to have lower incomes than pay TV subscribers, watch less television
- A comScore Study of cord-cutters
- lower to middle income ($75K or less annually)
- watch less TV than average viewer. (79 hours vs. 225 hours in a typical month)
- Based on behavioral data not self-reporting (March, 2017 for around 870 cord-cutting homes)
- Slightly less likely than average to use connected TVS or game consoles.
How to Watch
The Xbox One X is Microsoft’s powerful new 4K console
- Xbox 4K and HDR video capable game console
- November 7 for $499
- Premium Dolby Atmos
- 12 GB RAM
- note that Xbox One S ($299) (slim original Xbox One SKU) also has 4K BD, media streaming, HDR, and Prem Dolby Atmos
What to Watch
Apple's first TV series shows what it takes to build an app
- Apple premierered it’s first original TV series “Planet of the Apps” Wednesday. The 10-episode series follows app developers pitching their ideas to a panel made up of Gary Vaynerchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jessica Alba, and series creator Will.i.am. The first show is free for all on iTunes and Apple Music, while future episodes will require an Apple Music subscription.
On the Lookout: Outlander
Netflix to Sense8 Fans: Nope, We Aren't Bringing It Back
- Netflix responded to fans petitioning it to bring back Sense8. “The reason we’ve taken so long to get back to you is because we’ve thought long and hard here at Netflix to try to make it work but unfortunately we can’t.” Separately Reed Hastings told CNBC “Our hit ratio is way too high right now. So, we’ve canceled very few shows… I’m always pushing the content team: We have to take more risk; you have to try more crazy things. Because we should have a higher cancel rate overall.”
TNT Will Stream the Premiere of New Drama Series ‘Claws’ on Twitter
- TNT streamed the premiere episodes of Claws on Twitter immediately after it premiered on TNT. Claws is a drama-comedy that follows several employees of a fictional Florida nail salon who enter the world of organized crime.
Comcast might have to pay TiVo after losing a patent dispute
- TiVo won an International Trade Commission dispute with Comcast over patents relating to DVR recording and search. Comcast can contest the ruling or pay licensing fees to TiVo.
Facebook introduces new Android TV app, only allows you to watch videos
- Facebook’s Android app now works on Android TV. When installed on an Android TV device it shows videos in several categories: Suggested, Live, Games, and Your Videos. Pretty much the same as the Apple TV version.
HBO is adapting Brown Girls, another hit web series, for television
- Open TV Web series “Brown Girls” debuted on Elle in February and HBO has picked it up. Brown Girls is centered on the friendship between Leila (Nabila Hossain), a queer Muslim woman, and Patricia (Sonia Denis), a young black woman. It comes from screenwriter Fatimah Asghar and director Samantha Bailey.
Dispatches from the Front
On your iPhone.
Click the When Timer Ends
Scroll all the way to the bottom. Select "Stop Playing"
Set your time and start the timer. Then start netflix.
Boom 💥- Netflix shuts off when timer is done.
PS. Remember to reset timer sound option. Otherwise it just stops stuff no sounds
Have a better than good day!
Hey there, long time off and on listener since the TWiT days and current boss/Patreon contributor for the last year. I am currently in a fairly good deal with Comcast for the next year and a half and I'm not interested in completely cutting the cord yet, but I don't feel like paying monthly device fees for cable boxes throughout the house. I have several TVs in my house with Amazon FireStick devices, and I would like to load as many apps with live TV and On Demand streaming content as possible. I'm currently using HBO Go, Disney Channel, CBS, etc., but I'm curious if a) there's a central Xfinity app I can sign into and access all TV channels I'm currently paying for in each room, or b) a website listing all streaming apps that an Xfinity login can be used for.
Otherwise keep doing what you're doing and I appreciate your time!
Hey, guys... I bought the first Tablo. I use It with a ROKU 3. Tablo was very, very buggy at first, but now I love it. I used to have problems every time they would update, but now I believe they've gotten most the kinks out. Yeah...it was kind of annoying about having to get a USB hard drive, but the nice thing about that is...if one hard drive fails, it's easy to just swap out another. I've done this recently...was able to get a 1TB hard drive for around $50. I can also stream my Tablo away from home by streaming it over the internet using their mobile app or logging in with a web browser. It's gotten way better. I haven't checked out the new one yet, but I'm sure it's definitely worth a look.
Love the show!
Were you guys kidding about David Thewlis, because he is Varga, Lupin and ajax from Wonder Woman. He was also great as a medieval priest in Kingdom of Heaven.
A few weeks ago I decided it was time to cut the cord. I disconnected my cable box and took it to my local Xfinity store. My thought was that if I did it in person and took my box with me I would avoid any retention attempts. The gentlemen offered to knock some money off, but I explained it would need to be free for me to stay. I did still want internet though, and to my surprise he knocked twenty dollars off my internet bill. A week later I got a call from a retention agent, and she knocked another twenty dollars off my internet bill. Now I have no cable but, Netflix and Amazon provide me with more than enough content and I'm saving over a hundred dollars a month.
Thank you I never would have done this without your show. If only there was a way to show my thank you other than an email. OH! I know I'll support you on patreon.