Will Hulu and YouTube capture your eyeballs with their new hit shows? Will Microsoft regret killing Windows Media Center?
CordKillers: Ep. 69 - I Can Live with This Thorn
Recorded: May 4 2015
Guest: Veronica Belmont
- Hulu will drop Hulu Plus brand
- Hulu will stop calling it’s paid service Hulu Plus in order to reduce confusion.
- Hulu hits 9 million subscribers as TV and mobile viewing takes off
- 60% of 9 million subs no longer watch on a computer. Watching 30% more content than a year ago
- Hulu Scores Streaming Rights To “Seinfeld,” Signs AMC Deal
-Seinfeld - complete series 180 eps.(June)
-Exclusive on FUTURE AMC Networks (BBCA, We, IFC, Sundance)shows (Fear the Walking Dead but not The Walking Dead)
- Hulu ORIGINALS
- 11/22/63 - based on Stephen King book starring James Franco produced by JJ Abrams
- Director Jason Reitman (Juno, Up in the Air) comedy drama “casual”
- Amy Poehler-produced original comedy “Difficult People” coming to Hulu
- Jason Katims (FNL, Parenthood) “The Way” family in crisis in faith-based org.
- Freddy Wong behind the scenes of Rocket Jump’s action clips
- Cablevision is bringing Hulu to its cable boxes
- YouTube is dominating TV networks with mobile alone
-YouTube reaches more 18-49 on mobile than any TV network
- YouTube visits up 40% from last year
- TSV up 50%
- YouTube, AwesomenessTV Partner For Feature Films Led By Digital Stars
- YouTube To Fund Original Series From The Fine Bros, Joey Graceffa, Prank Vs. Prank, Smosh
- Fine Brothers scripted series taking a satirical look at singing competitions
- Prank vs Prank does a prank show but with celebrities.
- Joey Graceffa murder mystery reality series with youtube stars
- Smosh: Ian and Anthony work at a theme restaurant + hilarity
- AwesomenessTV will create feature films starring YouTube Creators. Films will premiere on YouTube,
- RIP Windows Media Center: Microsoft's HTPC software won't come to Windows 10
-Windows 10 will not be able to run Windows Media Center.
- Microsoft told Ed Bott in a private meeting
- TiVo Roamio OTA now selling for $300 with no service fees
- ChannelMaster DVR+ 1 TB
-For a limited time (which may be over? seems to come and go based on browser) in the US you can get a TiVo Roamio OTA DVR for $300 with lifetime service.
- That’s compared to previous $50 plus $15 a month service charge
-Compare to Channel Master DVR+ 1 TB for $399. Pay $39 for WiFi if needed
- Comcast brings Periscope-style live streams to the cable box
-Comcast is brinining Xfinity Share to iOS and Android so anyone with a TRIPLE PLAY Xfinity package can stream video to their own X1 cable box or anyone else they know with an X1 cable box.
- Comcast plans YouTube-like online video service
-Here's something that makes *slightly* more sense? The website called “The Information” says Comcast is working on its own YouTube competitor meant to deliver video to people with Comcast’s Cable TV package. So how long before they give up and scrap that idea?
- NBC copies Netflix by making David Duchovny's new show available to binge-watch on day one
-In more old industry imitating new, NBC is making all 13 episodes of Aquarius, starring David Duchovny, available for streaming on NBC.com and the NBC app starting with the show’s premier May 28th. Stunt or new standard?
- Movie streaming service Popcorn Time blocked by UK court
-The United Kingdom’s High Court ruled last week that UK ISP’s must block five website that host downloads of the PopCorn Time bittorrent client. So that’s it. Nobody in the UK will ever be able to use Popcorn Time to watch copyright-infringing content ever again. Problem solved.
- 23 Adult Swim series including Harvey Birdman, Venture Brothers, Rick and Morty, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and more are now available on Hulu.
- Netflix and Ellen are making a 'Green Eggs and Ham' TV show
-Netflix has commissioned a 13-episode animated series based on Dr. Seuss’s Green Eggs and Ham due to arrive in 2018. Jared Stern of Wrek-it-Ralph is on board to write the show and Ellen Degeneres is producing.
- Brian: Daredevil (8-12), Avengers: Age of Ultron, Prisoner 42
- Tom: Daredevil (8-13), Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, Bob's Burgers, Silicon Valley, Last Man on Earth, Once Upon a Time, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Shield (508), Game of Thrones
- Veronica: Ex Machina, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep
Dispatches from the Front
Hi Tom and Brian,
Hope all is well!
Wanted to throw in my two cents on your discussion on Nielsen. While Nielsen has branched out to cover various forms of digital and non-TV media, their bread and butter is still heavily fixed on the television medium. As far as I've seen and experienced, comScore remains the preferred service for digital advertisers. That being said, I wouldn't go all conspiratorial on them - to Tom's point, it's more likely they're coming from the lens of TV, though it's also easy to spin the news any way you want.
I know you talked about it but Periscope could be a real game changer. I am not a big boxing fan but with all the hype I peeked in on the big fight Saturday. It worked pretty well. How long do you think before they shut this down? Can they? Just looking through the app it does have a lot of possibility besides illegally streaming stuff.
You guys rock
Thanks to y'all, I have officially cut the cord this week. Just wanted to show my love.
I have a pick, that is a little time sensitive. It is a Kickstarter campaing for Sideclick. It is a secondary remote that clicks on to your Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire devices. It allows you to control basic functions like power and volume for your TV/receiver. Hopefully a cheaper way to get down to 1 remote.
It goes until May 21st. I pledged, and hope others do as well, seems like a cool little device.
I can't tell you how refreshing it is to listen to your show since I'm watching GOT on Sunday's but, even better, as you recap Daredevil. For the first time ever, I'm ahead of you and love to hear you wonder what's coming next. And maybe for next weeks you can put on your cotton conjecture hats and theorize on the impacts of Daredevil season 2 on the other Marvel/Netflix shows. Will expectations be higher or was Daredevil the most popular of the crowd so the others will fly under the radar?
So I was excited to get the first survey in the mail which I completed (and got my crisp $1 bills) . The first survey, if I remember correctly, did mention shows you could watch online and asked about watching habits.
I was more excited when we received a Nielsen survey packet in the mail (my wife was not excited but then I flaunted the crisp $5 bills in this envelope) but later realized, as a cord cutter, there was zero information I could fill out on this survey. They even have VCR references in the packet. Turns out there is no where on the survey to add shows that you watch online and they only want cable, satellite, or OTA programs. I just thought this was interesting and trying to find the best way to return my survey. Maybe filling it out with only online shows (House of Cards, Kimmy Schmidt) and saying when I want on whatever device I was bitches!
Kyle from Jacksonville
2015 Winter Movie Draft
- GFQ: $382,584,913
- Amtrekker: $191,271,109
- Cordkillers: $33,245,253
- Frogpants: $28,754,625
- Night Attack: $0
- DTNS: $0