Does Dish’s Sling TV service give the Cord-cutter everything they want? And do you want Roku built into your TV?
CordKillers: Ep. 52 - Mission Accomplished
Recorded: January 5, 2015
Guest: John Anealio
- Dish’s new Sling TV service liberates ESPN from the cable bundle
- Dish goes after cord-cutters with Sling TV, a $20 per month service
- Dish Introduces Sling TV, Its Over-The-Top Alternative To The Cable Bundle
- Dish’s Sling TV Sells ESPN, Other Cable Channels on the Web for $20
- You can get a free month of Dish's new Sling TV streaming service on Xbox One
- Dish Sling TV
- ~12 channels $20 a month
- ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. (Disney, Turner, Scripps and A&E) Also Maker Studios
- Pause, rewind, ff, some shows on demand for up to 3 days
- Specialty packages (news, kids, sports) additional $5 a month
- Movie rentals
- One device at a time
- Web, iOS, Android, Roku, FireTV, Nexus Player, Xbox One (1 mo. free trial), LG and Samsung SmartTVs
- Launching “soon” NO contracts
- Neflix Isn't Blocking VPNs... Any More Than Usual
- -TorrentFreak reported VPN users were noticing Netflix combatting VPNS
- Android app forced to use Google DNS, which makes it harder to use DNS-based location unblockers.
- Several VPN IP ranges were targeted as well. TorGuard noticed access problems by its users starting in mid-December.
- Netflix spokesperson on the issue, who said, “Netflix simply uses industry standard methods to prevent illegal VPN use,” and that the company isn’t handling VPNs any differently than before.
- Roku teams up with Insignia and Haier for Roku TV and announces future 4K support
- Netflix will tell you which TV is best for Netflix
- Panasonic will release Firefox OS TVs later this spring
- TCL and Philips add Firefox OS-based Chromecast competitor to TVs
- LG's TVs get 4K video from DirecTV, Netflix, YouTube and GoPro
- - Haier (Q3) and Best Buy Insignia (Spring) partnered with Roku
(Already partners with TCL and HiSense)
- Future models will support 4K. On Netflix Recommended list
- Sony, Sharp, Vizio, LG will also get “Netflix Recommended” designation
- "performance criteria" targets including fast app launch, fast resuming of video playback or the ability to power a TV directly into the Netflix app
- Matchstick (powered by FirefoxOS) partnering with PHilips and TCl
- FirefoxOS powering Panasonic Life+ 4K TVs
- LG 4K TVS run WebOS get video direct from DirecTV (prev. just DirecTV), Netflix YouTube and Gopro,
- Samsung, Disney, Netflix, and more team up to define Ultra HD and how you'll watch it
- -Samsung announced UHD Alliance to set standards for 4K content, terminology and delivery. TV manufacturers Sony, Panasonic, and Sharp are also involved as well as content makers Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., Netflix, and DirecTV. Dolby and Technicolor are also included.
- TiVo announced a new feature for Roamio and Mini devices called OnePass.
- -The feature that you can watch all episodes in a TV series across Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and your regular TV service. However it displays the episodes on one screen no matter the source. Then it can track them as you watch them.
- Hollywood Reporter says early estimates of 2014 movie ticket sales peg the number at 1.26 billion.
- -That would be the lowest number since 1995 when 1.21 billion were sold and a 6% drop from 2013. Revenue dropped 5% as well which had been rising as ticket prices increased.
- The Interview showed up in more places since last Monday.
- -It’s now available on demand in the US on several cable systems including DirectV, on the Vudu online service and in a few hundred more theaters.
- NFL playoff streaming makes it nearly impossible to miss a game
- -All postseason NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl will be available online. In North America you’ll have to have a cable subscription or Verizon’s $5 a month NFL Mobile premium pass. In 230 other countries outside North America you’ll need to subscribe to NFL’s Game Pass service which is around $70.
- Amazon Studios Scraps Series Order for Chris Carter’s ‘The After’
- -Amazon had ordered a season of Chris Carter’s The After following its pilot debut last February but now its hasn’t. They’ve dropped the series before shooting began.
- Brian: The Profit, Cowboy Bebop, Futurama, Marco polo
- Tom: The Imitation Game, Marco Polo (Ep 4), Bob's Burgers, Continuum, Big Fat Quiz of the Year, The Shield (405)
- John: Arrow (Season 2), Agents of Shield, Mozart in the Jungle, Stargate Atlantis, CBS News
2014 Winter Movie Draft
- Brian: $402,195,292
- Scott: $396,077,583
- Tom: $352,321,811
- Brett: $310,908,211
- John: $202,324,010
- Justin: $98,614,629
Dispatches from the Front
This was also the first movie I have ever rented on Google Play and that process was smooth as butter. I played it on my phone and then sent it to my 60” TV via Chromecast. The experience that Brain had during his pause happens in real time throughout the entire movie when watching it via Chromecast. All the actors and music info popped up on my phone in real time and as the actors in the scene changed the actor bubbles on my phone changed just as quickly. Even my wife was impressed, and that is a major feat since she generally doesn’t give a hoot about these kinds of bells and whistles. We have typically been a big use of torrents and Netflix for movies, but this newly discovered feature is more than enough motivation for me to get farther away from torrents and go legit. I am sure we will be using this method for many more movies in the future.
I need help with three things:
1.) Ultra Violet Digital - How does this work and what is the best resource of information as to proper utilization of this product?
Best HDTV Antenna available
Best TV GUIDE/DVR BOX available
3.) Summer/Winter Movie Draft
I have never been interested in sports past watching the occasion game on TV or going to a live game. I have never done a fantasy sports league or anything like that. I have played and enjoyed the movie drafts vicariously by watching you. I now want to start my own movie draft with my family. Could you direct me to the website that has the guide or the instructions to playing this properly?