Would an Apple and Comcast partnership kill the Internet? Should Netflix go P2P? Cable TV lost subscribers, but is it good news? Also trailers!
Get the episode here:
CordKillers: Ep. 12 - In hate with our DVRs
Recorded: March 24, 2014
Guest: Allison Sheridan
- What if Netflix switched to P2P for video streaming?
- Reed Hastings blog post
- ATT blogs, asking "Who should pay for netflix?"
- Better rebuttal than Cicoone's to Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings Post on Thursday, "Please regulate peering connections FCC"
Jim Ciccone (Senior Executive Vice President-External and Legislative Affairs)from AT&T answers on Friday "Netflix is asking all subscribers to pay for Netflix subscriber’s bandwidth"
Dan Rayburn says- "Netflix could use multiple providers to connect to ISPs and could also use third party CDNs like Akamai, EdgeCast and Limelight, who are already connected to ISPs, to deliver their traffic. "
- Comcast and Time Warner Cable lost 1.1 million video customers in 2013
Leichtman Research Group:
*Comcast and TWC combined lost 1.1 million TV subs 825K TWC)
*Comcast added 1.3 million broadband subs and TWC added 211,000.
*All cablecos lost.
*Satellite and telcos gained TV subs
*Emtire market still lost 104,521 subs compared to adding 175,000 in 2012
*Largest cable and telco providers gained 2.6 million subs
*Comcast gained in 4th quarter 43,000
*SNL Kagan numbers similar with a total drop of 251,000
- The Roku remote app for iOS, Android and Kindle got updates
- Adds universal search across channels. Also the Yahoo Screen app that was available for Apple TV is now available on Roku as well if you like clips from SNL and The Daily Show or any of the Yahoo originals.
- Yahoo Screen arrives on Roku
- WAR. IS. OVER. Viacom and Google ended the $1 billion copyright lawsuit
- Apparently no money changed hands but did say through legally gritted teeth that they look forward to working together.
Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim as they solve crime related to superhuman individuals. The show had a failed FX pilot in 2011.
Germany, Denmark, France, Spain, Finland, Italy, Norway, the Netherlands, Sweden and Britain. App compatibility varies by country. Canada for instance gets YouTube and Netflix. Britain gets the BBC and in France, you can use it with FranceTV Pluzz and SFR TV.
They compete for a million dollar prize in the first Dota 2 International Tournament. It’s available on YouTube, iTunes and Steam.
It will be set 30 years after the events of Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. It "will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces", the press release added. (will be released in cinemas on 18 December 2015.)
On Our Radar
- Brian: Archer, Cosmos
- Tom: Arrow, The Shield (Ep. 4), Deadwood, Walking Dead, Archer, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Cosmos
- Allison: Cosmos & Hacking the System, Sherlock
Dispatches from the Front
- Brian and Tom,
I could not disagree with you more about Game of Thrones (especially Brian). I have read the books, most of them multiple times. I tried to watch the series. And failed.
It wasn't that I decided to stop, so much as once I'd watched the first four or so episodes the next time I sat down to watch something I'd recorded, I felt no pull to watch more Game of Thrones and instead watched something else.
If the television show starts getting ahead of the books I will be furious. I'll have to choose between watching all the episodes of a show that didn't grab me in order to catch up and see the new material, or simply reading recaps on line. (Maybe A Wiki of Ice and Fire will save me).
I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels this way, but from the Game of Thrones hype you'd never know it.
Keep cutting them cords,
- Many times I think of a show that I would like to watch, but when I search for it on Fan TV, it is not available anywhere. Two examples recently have been ""The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr."" and ""Battleplan.""Is there anything that I can do to encourage creators to make things available. I have become more and more frustrated."
Hey Killers and Esteemed guests, what are your thoughts about the NCAA tourney (March Madness) being available almost entirely (a few cable games here and there) over the air or online? Using the NCAA March Madness Live to stream games on the go, by the way, nice app. Brian I know how you feel about the Sports ball but, would like everyone's thoughts on a very popular event with a lot of freedom to watch for all. Take it away fellas, thanks love the show.
Cosmos on FOX over the air is 720p you were talking about how good it looks 1080p but its not. FYI Still looks good, no compression.